Benefits & Council Tax Support


Should I Claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and Council Tax Support?

  • If you are liable to pay rent at your property.

You should only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:

  • you are getting the severe disability premium
  • you got the severe disability premium within the last month and you’re still eligible for it
  • you have reached State Pension age
  • you live in temporary accommodation
  • you live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens

If not, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit instead


  • You can claim for Discretionary Housing Payment.

This scheme allows us to make additional payments to people who receive Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit who appear to need further help with their rent.

These are not intended to be long term ongoing payments; they are normally awarded on a short term or one off basis to assist you while you take action to improve your financial circumstances, this can be either a shortfall in your ongoing costs or to clear rent arrears


  • If you are liable to pay Council Tax at your property.

You should make a claim for Council Tax Support at Boston Borough Council, you can visit us at Municipal Buildings, West Street, Boston, Lincs, PE21 8QR or phone 01205 314202 to arrange an application form to be sent in the post, you will need to make an appointment with our new claims team.

Housing Benefit

Council Tax Support

Discretionary Housing Payments

Report Your Changes


Payments Calendar

How We Use Your Information