Paying Your Council Tax


The council will send you a council tax bill at the beginning of each financial year (usually mid March) to notify you of the amount you need to pay on a monthly basis.

Payments are due on the first of each month over the first 10 months starting 1st April. You will therefore normally pay between April and the following January each year.

You can pay your council tax as follows:

  • Direct Debit: Direct debit is simple, convenient and a secure way to pay.  We offer a choice of dates throughout the month. Set up your Direct Debit by completing our Direct Debit form and return to us by email or post.  Alternatively, if you are the bank account holder, call us on 01205 314202 – make sure you have your Council Tax account reference to hand.
  • Online Payments: By debit card online – please use this link to take you to the online payment page
  • Internet Banking: By internet banking, Standing Order or Bank Giro Credit. To do this, you will need to quote our sort code: 40-12-30 and bank account number: 41644750. The reference you need when setting this up is your Council Tax account number, (this is the number in the top right of your bill and starts with a ‘2’) – this will make sure your payment credits your Council Tax Account. Please do not add any extra characters or digits as this may prevent us from allocating your payment correctly.
  • Post: You can send a cheque payable to Boston Borough Council quoting your account reference number on the back to; Boston Borough Council, Municipal Buildings, West Street, Boston, Lincs, PE21 8QR.
  • Barcode: You can pay using the barcode on the top of your council tax bill or arrangement letter at any retail outlets displaying the ‘PayPoint’ sign in the Boston area or any UK Post Office. To find your local Payzone shop please visit

When you must pay

Payment of council tax is due in statutory instalments and must be paid on or before the due date. You will receive a letter each year detailing the amounts you must pay and the dates they are due. Options are available which allow you to pay by weekly, fortnightly or 4 weekly instalments. Also you can choose to pay over 12 months instead of the statutory 10. Please contact us for further information.

What to do if you think your bill is wrong

If you wish to query your council tax bill or ask for advice about your council tax charge, please contact our Revenues and Benefits staff.

There are appeal rights if you consider you are not liable to pay council tax. For example:

  • Because you are not the resident or owner
  • The property should be exempt
  • You think a mistake has been made in calculating your bill.

If you are unhappy with the way you have been charged or do not feel you have received a satisfactory answer to a previous enquiry, you should write to us with all the relevant details, so we have the opportunity to reconsider the case. You will receive a written response, giving you the decision made and the reasons for that decision. If you are still unhappy, you can ask for your case to be referred to the council tax ombudsman.


If you leave the area to move elsewhere during the financial year, we will close your council tax account with us on the day you move. As council tax is a daily charge this action could result in a credit balance on your account.

If we hold bank details for you any monies due to you will be returned by BACS, if not then a cheque will be issued usually within 10 days of your account being closed. You should contact us to provide accurate details of your move and a forwarding address.

What happens if you don’t pay

Remember that paying by direct debit ensures that your payments are made on time every month.

If you pay late we will send you a reminder or final notice. We normally send only one reminder before taking further action

Please contact the council as soon as you realise that you cannot pay your Council Tax. Please call Credit Control on 01205314353 or email us at If we can help or advise you at this stage it may prevent the situation becoming more serious.

We want to work to help you by:

  • discussing your circumstances before your arrears become too serious
  • giving advice on any welfare or benefits that you might be entitled to
  • putting you in touch with other agencies that can offer you support, such as the Citizens Advice or National Debt line and the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

    You can also contact the DEBT ADVICE FOUNDATION for free Debt advice. They also have a free ONLINE DEBT ANALYSER · setting arrangement for you to pay off regular amounts of your arrears

However, if you do not contact us and you do not pay, you may lose your right to pay by instalments and then might be required to pay the full balance outstanding. If you do not pay, you will receive a summons, and incur additional court costs of £75.00

If you receive a summons

This enable the Council to take various steps to recover the unpaid Council Tax including:

  • Applying to have deductions made from your earnings or salary
  • Applying to have deductions made from certain prescribed benefits
  • Passing the case to the Enforcement Agent to recover.

The Council employs Rossendales,Bristow & Sutor and Newlyn, the contact details for them are as follows;

Bristow and Sutor

All the contact information for Bristow and Sutor can be found using the link below including, telephone numbers, address, whatsapp messenging and email addresses:



Marston Holdings

PO BOX 120

Epping CM16 9EB

Telephone: 08456 444100



Newlyn PLC

PO BOX 933

Northampton NN1 9DX

Telephone: 01604 633001


To make a payment to Rossendales, Bristow and Sutor or Rossendales, please refer to the appropriate website where you can make a payment online


Boston Borough Council accepts no responsibility for third party websites.


  • The council can ask for a charge to be made on your property. This will include additional costs and ongoing interest and ultimately your property could be sold
  • The council may apply to make you bankrupt if you owe more than £5000.00 this could mean your home and your assets could be sold to pay your debts and the costs of taking this action
  • The council can apply to send you to prison for a period of up to 90 days.

Register for Council Tax

Council Tax Support

Can I reduce my Council Tax?

Moving / Changes to Household

Enforcement Rules

Your Latest Council Tax Booklet

Your Council Tax Bill Explained